Pariet is used for the treatment of stomach ulcers, ulcers in the duodenum (the area of the small intestine that lies just after the stomach), the symptoms of gastroesophageal reflux disease.
In combination with two antibiotic agents, Pariet is used for the eradication of Helicobacter pylori. Helicobacter pylori is a bacteria that is strongly linked to stomach ulcerations and chronic gastritis.
Pariet relieves the symptoms of reflux and ulcers by slowing down the secretion of acid by the cells that line the stomach. It does this by inhibiting a single type of enzyme (a protein that allows other chemical reactions to occur faster) called a 'proton pump' that is needed to produce acid. So, by inhibiting this enzyme, the final stage in acid production is stopped.
Use Pariet as directed by your doctor!
- Take Pariet by mouth with or without food.
- Swallow Pariet whole. Do not break, crush, or chew before swallowing.
- You may take antacids while you are taking Pariet if you are directed to do so by your doctor.
- If you also take an imidazole antifungal (eg, ketoconazole), take it at least 2 hours before taking Pariet.
- If you also take sucralfate, take Pariet at least 30 minutes before taking sucralfate.
- Continue to take Pariet even if you feel well. Do not miss any dose.
- If you miss a dose of Pariet, take it as soon as possible. If it is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not take 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use Pariet.
Store Pariet at 77 degrees F (25 degrees C). Brief storage at temperatures between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C) is permitted. Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep Pariet out of the reach of children and away from pets.
Active Ingredient: Rabeprazole sodium